Thursday, January 5, 2012

Clean Slate


It is a new year, a natural time for transitions, new intentions, and an optimistic hope for the future...starting with a clean slate. Normally, I have a list of items in mind, the usual suspects: exercise, eat healthfully, and some variety of other lofty goals. I’ve thought about general financial/economic strategies for this year, but I just don’t care about this now. I am devastated by the news that a friend’s two and half year old son died in a tragic accident on New Years day. Gone. It’s not fair. It’s not right. The pain they are feeling is incomprehensible. My sadness cannot possibly reach the grief they are suffering right now. I hold their family in my heart. My love and support reach out to them. Their journey has changed but has not stopped; navigating through anger, fear, sorrow, resentment, and somehow....peace.

I am humbled. I can only think to hold my children tightly, be grateful for every day, love them and my husband even more. The only resolutions that make sense this year are to forgive, love, and live.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Shampa! Please extend my warm wishes to Merrick and the boys for a year filled with lots of love and laughter. Speaking of goals, I came across some social networks designed to help people achieve personal goals. This surely is hell in cyberspace :-). I have 1.5 mos left in SE Asia. In Bangkok for 2 days and then off to Koh Tarutao for some island scenes for 1 week and 1 month VN from Hanoi to Saigon then back to Denver 2/22.

    1. http://www.stickk.com/about You can set goals for anything. Most people opt to also put up an amount of money, any amount you choose. Then you can select a person you trust to be your referee, to monitor you and make sure you're meeting your goal. At the end of the reporting period (the length of which you determine), your referee confirms whether or not you succeeded. They have found the use of "anti-charity" as a motivation that has made the "George W Bush" fund the most popular incentive for people to meet their goal.

    2. https://www.beeminder.com/about
    This seems to be for people who like to to track datapoints with the added ability to set reward/punishment incentives.

    xox
    Thanh

    ReplyDelete